About Me

My photo
I have moved - I can now be found at Cathy @ Still Waters, Click on still waters for link to new blog
Living, loving, Laughing and Travelling as much as possible. Come along and join in my life and travels - I'll be happy to have you there with me.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Life is good again

Well I think I am back in the swing of things again, I really wonder why I get so lazy and can’t be bothered then get annoyed at myself for not doing anything but I guess that’s just me – being a Libran doesn’t help either as we can get very lapsidasical and then worry because things aren't right - something to do with the scales and being balanced and all that.

Anyway this evening I feel great…today started off bitterly cold but dry (about 2c at my back door) and I was quite annoyed but relieved I couldn’t walk first thing as I had to be out and about by 8.30am. By the time I got home at 2pm the day was a cracker with lots of blue sky and sunshine so I put the runners on and couldn’t get out the door fast enough. Did my half hour trip round the block and decided to have a little jog on the last lap so really got the heart rate up. Hope to keep up the good work and get out again tomorrow.

The other week when we had all that rain I picked up a book at the local library called ‘Prevention’s Complete Book of Walking’ and am really enjoying it. It’s a fairly new book, published in 2000, is very easy to read and talks about all sorts of things to do with walking, health and exercise.

Each ‘chapter’ has several parts, which are not too long and very easy to digest ranging from the healthy reasons for walking, walking for weight loss, walking in different weather conditions to strength training for walkers and an 8 week plan for achieving that first 5km walk/fun run.

It seems to be a book to be picked up and browsed over and then picked up again and read more thoroughly and as I said before I am really enjoying it. Lots of tips about the funniest things like walking with poles, which they call Exercising, which is described as a simple, safe, enjoyable activity that uses almost all of your muscles in a single exercise session.

Now as you know I have been moaning about the winter weather we are having here in Melbourne at the moment and all the things that stop me from walking so when I found the following piece of writing in the book I thought it quite funny.


A WALKERS ATTITUDE

I woke up early today, excited about the day ahead. My health and well being are important and it is my job to decide to take care of myself. Its up to me to find the time, the place and the reasons to go for a walk.

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy, or ……
I can be thankful that my skin will be blessed with moisture.

Today I can feel sad that I have so many other things to do, or……….
I can be happy that I’ll have so much more energy to do them when I’m done walking

Today I can grumble over the temperature, or…
I can be thrilled that I’ve got the right clothes to deal with it.

Today I can whine because I have to find the time to walk, or….
I can shout for joy that my body is able to keep pace with my spirit

Today I can mourn my lack of walking partners, or…
I can revel in my quiet time alone.

What my health and fitness will be like is, in great measure, up to me. I get to choose my level of well being. I get to lay the plans for a daily walk.

Have a great walk today…unless you have other plans.

Author unknown

1 comment:

  1. Certainly some words to think about there Cathy sounds like a book worth hunting done. Will contact my local Library tomorrow. Thnaks for the kind words on my blog-just what I needed on a wet Sunday arvo when I was having a pity party a real lift thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting with Blogger is proving to be difficult for some of you - hopefully its fixed now. If not maybe you'd like to email me - the address is on my profile page
Take care
Cathy